Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Yaaaaaar! Part 2!

I have a little more time this morning so hopefully I can finish this story! Well, there I was playing meridian again as if it had never been shut down in 2000. And I played it happily for a couple years until I found out one of the people who bought the game was completely corrupt. :( He was making changes that nobody in the community liked or would ever be happy with. A lot of us made the mistake in thinking that because we were the real reason the game was as successful, that he would somehow respect our feelings and memory of the game. Let me say now that the meridian community is very tightly knit. We were all on first name and personal terms with the new devs. It was like having a good friend who owned a game company. So despite our pleas of mercy for our dear game, he pushed forward quite possibly ruining it forever. The game veterans (such as myself) who had been playing since the alpha/beta stages began to flood out of the game. We couldn't stand to watch the travesty anymore. We got tired of donating to the point where we were all on the verge of not being able to pay our bills.

If only we were not so blind. If only we could have forseen that there would be nothing left but some crap that was aimed at a target audience of.... fuck I don't know. Anyone new who ever joined the game while I was there quit less than a day later in disgust. There only consolation from the vets being 'It wasn't always like this ya know. It used to be more than some lame attempt at quakecon.' Don't get me wrong! I love quake as much as the next fragdawl, it just didn't have a place here in this game. It didn't make sense to have a game where building was so slow and painful that many would rather put sharp AIDS infected sticks in their eye for fun rather than bother with a day of attempting to grind on this game. With most of my happy memories nearly shattered, I gathered up my things and left M59 for good. I stayed longer than any of the other vets on my server, just trying to cling. I realize now how sad that is. People still exist on the less cordial of the two servers.... it's just that though. Although I think calling it 'less cordial' maybe be putting it extremely lightly. I tried switching servers before canceling all my accounts and found it impossible to play on a server that was so up it's own ass with paranoia that they wouldn't even give me time to explain who I was or where I was from. They were convinced that I was some sort of alt of an evil guild within the game since I know how to build quicker than most due to my experience and immense ammounts of free time. It sucked. I will get into more detail about this when I start doing my game reviews. And these will be honest reviews from an official girl gamer, not some immature, testosterone hyped 12 year old fanboi concerned about losing his cloudsong...

Anyway, so after meridian I decided to return to Daoc. Which by this time was incredibly hard to locate at the local EB/Gamestop, which until recently was my favorite place to find games. Unfortunately they cater a considerable bit more to the console gamer. Which is fine in it's own respect. I enjoy button mashing about as much as I enjoy pounding away at my keyboard. But they are losing a lot of money this way as I have now turned to Amazon for my gaming experience LOL. Which should really be saying something IMHO. Plus they have a marketplace feature where people can undercut the big vendors with cheaper stuff. Let's get back towards the topic a bit. I manage to beg the gamestop manager to give me the display copy of Daoc with all the expansions leading up to, and including trials of atlantis. I think I played this in hope of having some memory of my old guildmates and the fun of running around in a dungeon. Well, I was completely shocked to find that my whole guild was still active, but I didn't know a single person in it. I got over it, and began playing again only to accidentally run into a zone that was a player owned LAG! Oops I mean I wandered into player owned housing. And again I was saddened by game devs putting things in a game that would make it run crappier than ever. It was a slap in the face. One that was soon to come over and over again with each new game I would grace with my presence. I canceled the same week since the lag was too great to bother with.

Over the next few years people would see me on such games as Thang, Ragnarok Online, Eve Online, World of Warcraft, Flyff, Star Wars Galaxies, EQ 2, EQ (yes I went back for a short while), Shadowbane, Lineage 2, Anarchy Online, Vendetta, Earth and Beyond, Second Life, Tibia, and a few other names I can't remember at this exact moment. I haven't tried it all, but I'm pretty damn close with how many games I have had to hop in search of the perfect MMO. I feel I should add this though. A game isn't necessarily all about the devs fucking up. In the end, it's what you make of it. I have had to learn this painful lesson since all games I have played follow the same formula. Arg.

Rawr

1 comment:

Mike Riley said...

I like the color scheme of your site EXCEPT that, when you try to read it, it's very difficult. Maybe use a lighter shade for letters or BG.

As to choice of subject - hey, nothing's profound on the blogosphere...

If yer ambitious, come see my sites: http://visionsfromtheworld.blogspot.com/, or http://aftermidnightpage.blogspot.com. I'd be interested in your opinion...